Saturday, January 27, 2007

Blood Diamonds

Blood Diamonds Review
This was an action packed movie with fairly good acting. It flowed well and kept my interest. It was entertaining as well as educational. The film heightened my awareness of the civil conflicts in Africa. I had heard that there have been several civil wars in various African countries over the past decade. However, this information was received as factual and distant. I did not realize the breadth of the problem. Blood Diamond showed a small amount of the realities of refugee camps, native rebels, unstable government, and American involvement. The idea that the sale of products in America is fueling wars in Africa never occurred to me. It hurts me to think of the victims that have been beaten, raped, and had their family members killed. It pisses me off that corporate assholes buy and stock diamonds for their own profit regardless of its effect on whole nations. It disgusts me that young children are taken from their families and taught to be merciless killers. Now that I have a little bit of an idea what is going on in Africa I want to know more and how I can help the innocent victims of these horrendous conflicts.

No comments: